[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 3 18:29:13 UTC 2007

On 09/03/2007 01:50 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 03/09/2007 17:58, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>   - free of concern about the legality of copying potentially
>> copyrighted data into my database (definitely copyrighted when talking
>> about SD data)
> I was under the impression that you can't copyright "factual data", only
> the particular presentation of that data?
>
> Not that I'd condone undermining the good efforts of the SD developers,
> and not that it directly concerns me as we have good EIT data here in
> the UK (which myth understands thanks to the myth developers!)

There is more than factual data in the DataDirect data provided through
SD.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/282888#282888

And don't get me started on the whole, "How can it be factual data until
/after/ it's already been broadcast?" question.  (It's factual data that
the episode "The Colonial Mantel" of "New Yankee Workshop" was broadcast
on WMFE at 4:00pm EDT on Sat Jul 14, 2007.  It's likely that the episode
"The Storage Shed" of "New Yankee Workshop" will be broadcast on WMFE at
4:00pm EDT on Sat Sep 15, 2007, but until it's actually broadcast it's
not so much a fact.)  This seems especially relevant to me as it's also
been said that many stations broadcast a series in order and have no
idea which episode will be broadcast (knowing only "the next tape on the
shelf/file in the series/whatever") until TMS provides the listings data
to them.

Mike