[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon Sep 3 15:33:50 UTC 2007

Chuck Dock wrote:
> I've been looking at the mailing for about a week now and it would seem
> like some of you super smart folks out their have come up with a way to
> get our tv guide line ups for free.
>  What would be cool is if people reply to this email with either ideas
> or scripts that have written to fix this problem. It's not that I'm
> against paying for a service.....ok, that's a lie! I do want it free,
> there must be a way!
There is a sophisticated, open source TV guide for Australia available
from <http://svn.whuffy.com/index.fcgi/wiki>. It is capable of seeking
an alternative web site if one site changes the data format and can
incorporate extra information, such as IMDB data, in the downloaded
listings. I think that adapting the code for one location in the United
States would be a straightforward task. However, there is a limited and
fairly uniform range of TV programs available across Australia and
extending the program to serve all U.S. viewers would pose formidable
problems.