[mythtv-users] DVI vs HDMI

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Sep 1 01:00:49 UTC 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Brian L. Walter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm currently feeding my monitor via DVI.   The monitor can also do
> HDMI.  Well getting a DVI->HDMI cable improve the picture/
> performance of
> the monitor?
>
> The monitor is a Westinghouse 37"
>
> TIA
> Brian

What sort of picture/performance issues are you having? I have a dual-
link DVI cable to my Westinghouse 42" display. I've tried it in the
1080p DVI port, the 1080i DVI port and I've tried HDMI vs. component
video. They all look pretty much the same to me except I was getting
weird artifacts at 1080i that disappeared with 1080p, so I left it
there.

The short answer is that a good quality DVI cable should look
identical to a good quality HDMI cable.