[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 24 01:53:47 UTC 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Daniel Agar wrote:

> Have you considered something like Motion
> (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome) for your
> security
> system? I use motion and have it set to take a picture and record
> an avi
> whenever motion is detected. I suppose mythgallery could be pointed at
> these files to get an idea of current activity. I'm not sure how you'd
> prefer to have your surveillance system setup, but I'd much rather
> get an
> overview of the days activity than watch a live stream. Motion also
> allows
> for auto pan and tilt.
> It should be possible to use a v4l device for both motion and your
> current
> myth setup, I once used a utility called vloopback or something
> like that.
> It would simply create 2 video device files to access the same actual
> device.

Zoneminder already has a plugin for MythTV so that might be the
easiest route. I don'rt use it, but from reading the website, it
should be able to do everything listed and more.

> Also, would mythtvosd suit your needs for wishlist #4?

I prefer xosd since mythtvosd only works when watching a recording,
but xosd can overlay text on top of anything in X. I had to learn a
bit of C to get xosd to behave like I wanted but it wasn't too hard.