[mythtv-users] HVR-3000 DVB-S tuning problems

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Oct 17 09:25:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, October 15, 2007 9:38 am, Mark Guz wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Mark Guz <mark at guz.org.uk> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I've just installed a shiny new Hauppauge HVR-3000 card in my myth box.
>> After some driver compiling and head scratching the hardware now works
>> perfectly, and using dvbstream i can lock on to channels on Astra 2D
>> 28.2E,
>> particularly BBC1 Scotland, ITV Grampian etc, however within Mythv (i
>> used
>> both 0.20 and 0.21cvs) i can only pick up channels from Astra 2A/B and
>> the
>> signal strength is only reported as 5%, plus the picture suffers from
>> peep/squeek and breakup.
>> With dvbstream and the original digibox, all transponders are available
>> and all channels are clear and suffer no break up.
>> I am in the Netherlands and have a dish pointed at Astra 28.2E and the
>> LNB
>> is a UNIVERSAL variety.
>> I have seen some talk of mythtv not working too well with dvb-s and
>> other
>> talk of it working just fine.
>> I don't think the hvr-3000 is at fault as there are no problems using
>> dvbstream and the dish/lnb is definately ok, so the only thing left is
>> myth
>> itself.
>> Is there a known problem, am I doing something wrong? I set the diseqc
>> universal LNB and i don't see anywhere else i can configure options.
>> Any suggestions?
>> Regards
>> Mark Guz
> More info:
> The LNB is set to universal (LNB LOF Low 9750, High, 10600, Switch 11700)
> I have removed myth completely and downloaded and compiled the latest SVN,
> which made no difference.
> Interestingly I can't find the channels on any of the transponders listed
> as
> Astra 2D  28.2E but can on 2A/B using scandvb or mythtv but i can lock
> directly onto channels using dvbstream.
> I had a look at the LNB settings on my sky digibox and they are set to
> 9.57,
> 10.6 and 22kHz tone=ON. I don't find anywhere in mythtv to set this 22kHz
> tone but if i switch it off on my digibox, i loose a lot of channels. So i
> have a feeling the myth isn't setting the LNB up properly, but given that
> knew ZERO about LNBs a week ago, I'm prepared to be proven wrong..
> Any help, tips, pointers links would be be greatly appreciated.

Which drivers are you using for the HVR3000?

I've got one of those cards working fine with DVB-S on Mythtv, using Astra
28.2E (from the UK).  I'm using Steven Toth's drivers from

I did have some trouble getting any channels at all in Myth, but I can't
remember why now !  It was about 10 months ago that I got it all working.

I'm pretty sure that my setup also reports about 5% signal strength in
Myth - this is just a driver issue - it doesn't report signal strength
properly - doesn't make any difference to me.

I don't remember having to setup anything to do with a 22Khz tone in myth.

Can you lock onto the channels using szap ?  If you can do that, I think
it should work in Myth.