[mythtv-users] HD recording problem

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Fri Oct 12 22:12:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 17:09 -0400, Chris Bare wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I have basic cable, and have my cable plugged
> into a splitter and into both inputs on the hdhomerun.
> It's certainly possible that it was the signal, even over the cable, I'm just
> trying to figure out how to diagnose it for sure. Smallville recorded ok last
> week by itself, but that doesn't really prove anything.

Before you think about hard disk consider network bandwidth and switch

The debug output of hdhomerun_config will show you any network errors. I
suggest the following:

1) Setup MythTV to record two HDTV shows at once
2) Open up two SSH or Telnet sessions to the system
3) Open up a telnet or ssh session to the MythTV box and run
   "watch -n 1 hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/debug"
4) Repeat step 3 for the second tuner (/tuner1/debug)
5) Monitor both sessions for network errors or other problems

Are you by chance using a 100MB link between the HDHR and the MythTV
box? It should work however some switches are better quality than
others. Try changing the network switch if you see network errors.

Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc>