[mythtv-users] Tuner Rollover

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Wed Oct 10 22:02:17 UTC 2007

I have properly set up caching and removed the channels that don't seem to work. But some of them seem to work sometimes and not other times. So the behavior isn't consistent. The whole thing is strange, and what MythTV has a problem with is error recovery. I am not at the programming level necessary to fix the problem, but the solution, if not implemented already is that in the event a tuner fails to record due to an error...the system should automatically schedule an alternate recording, either the same on a different tuner, or reschedule for a later date. It doesn't do that currently, as far as I know, which is what I was asking about.

> From: "Daniel Arfsten" <darfsten at hotmail.com>

RE below:
Well it's my understanding that you should only have the channels that you
can record over firewire associated to a source and that source associated
to the firewire input, meaning the firewire source would have (in my
example: HD "clear" channels 504, 505, 506, 510, 512, 518, 524). The analog
input would have a source that had ALL the channels that the pvr-350 can
"tune" itself. which obvioulsy does NOT include the channels I listed above.

So there would be no way that if the firewire recording failed that it could
go to another tuner, because that channel is not assocaited to that other
tuner. It would be nice if there was some way to be able to edit each
channel somewhere (thru mythfrontend?) and tell mythtv which tuners work
with which channels. Right now it's very confussing using 1 lineup and
multiple sources which is why I may just bite the bullet and purchase
another account from SD.

My setup is as follows and I haven't gotten it straightened out yet:
Master Backend
PVR-500 and Firewire pci card
-Firewire from SA 3250HD STB (1 CableDigital source from SD (53172) should
only have 8 channels)
-Analog Tuner (1 Cable lineup from SD with all channels)
-Analog Tuner (1 Cable lineup from SD with all channels)

Slave Backend
PVR-350
-S-Video IN on PVR-350 from SA 3250HD (a 2nd STB) s-video out (A second
CableDigital source from SD (53172) should have ALL channels)

I have tried the caching suppport but it's not working with the firewire
input.

Daniel