[mythtv-users] OT: Size (MB) of Samsung HD501LJ drive?

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Tue Oct 9 00:50:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 16:32 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:27 PM, MythTV wrote:
> > Mine are all in a hardware raid 6, but they show up under the 3ware
> > raid
> > tool as:
> >
> > SAMSUNG HD501LJ 465.76 GB
> >
> > I was a little surprised when I bought them that there was 35 gig
> > missing from what I was expecting.
> Probably they're using the "1 megabyte = 1 million bytes" convention.
> 465.76 * 1024 * 1024 = 488,384,758
> Probably rounds to 500,000,000 bytes if you look at it before
> formatting, with a salesman's eyes, and squint a bit.

3ware controllers 'right-size' a drive to avoid problems of using
different drives from different manufacturers. In the 3ware docs they
call this 'coercion'. That's where your space went :)

I did some estimates before purchasing and doing some math found the

	MFG Size, OS Size, 3Ware Coercion
	1000GB, 932GB, 930GB
	750GB, 698.25GB, 695GB
	500GB, 465.5GB, 465GB

The sweet spot seems to be the 750GB drives. You can get just a few of
them not to worry about heat and noise yet still get a reasonable amount
of space out of them so as not to drive up the cost/gb.

Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc>