[mythtv-users] need help with my irblaster.info irblaster w. lirc/MythTV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:32:19 UTC 2007

On 05/10/2007, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have the serial IR blaster from http://irblaster.info and I'm trying
> to get it working on my Ubuntu MythTV setup.
> I have the Hauppauge 250 card, and I do have the IR receiver and
> Hauppauge remote working there. I was told that in order to use my IR
> blaster, I would need to setup lircd to listen on a second device,
> /etc/lirc1. I'm having problems doing so, though. Ultimately, my error
> message is as follows:
> > $ irsend --device=/dev/lirc1 SEND_ONCE dish 1
> > irsend: could not connect to socket
> > irsend: Permission denied

(also posted to lirc-list)

As I said in the previous thread on this list, you want to call irsend
with the LIRC socket (/dev/lircd1 in your case with a second instance
of lircd):

$ irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE dish 1

As I also said, you need to ensure that the user running irsend has
write privileges to the lircd socket being used. Please post the
output of:

$ ls -l /dev/lirc*

> I did have to startup the second one manually, my lirc init.d script
> doesn't seem to be starting up the second lirc daemon, but I'm assuming
> that this isn't contributing to my problem here.

Please post your init script to the lirc list. Maybe there something
in it causing the failure of the second instance.

Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
MythTV users list archive: