[mythtv-users] need help with my irblaster.info irblaster w. lirc/MythTV

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Tue Oct 2 15:10:34 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 30/09/2007, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
>> What modules need to be active in Ubuntu fiesty to work with the
>> aforementioned serial IR transmitter?
> Joe,
> You need to make sure that lirc_serial was compiled with the
> '--with-transmitter' option, and that you are calling irsend with the
> correct lircd socket (the '--device' option).

I've compiled and installed lirc from source using the following build

--prefix=/usr --with-transmitter --with-driver=hauppauge

Doing the following, I'm getting the connect to socket error

# irsend --device=/dev/lirc0 SEND_ONCE dish 3
irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: Connection refused

The irsend manpage says the following:

 If lircd is not running (or /dev/lircd lacks write permissions) rc
aborts with the following diagnostics:
       "irsend: could not connect to socket"
       "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied").

if lircd is running as root, this would rule out permission issues,
right? Any ideas what I should look into here?

Many thanks in advance!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
joe at netmusician.org