[mythtv-users] Upgrading to HD

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:13:54 UTC 2007

On 11/30/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> The answer is OTA and HDHomeRun.  All those HD channels that DirecTV puts
> out are a waste.  Most of them have very limited HD content (LOTS OF
> RERUNS).  Even with the flux of HD channel i would guess 75% of HD is shown
> OTA.  And if you remove Discovery and History its more like 90%.  Plus OTA
> is FREE!

That's only an answer if you are content with the limited over the air
programming.  There are channels other than OTA networks that carry
original programming that I want to record from time to time.  You've
mentioned Discovery and History, but I also watch (non-rerun)
programming on channels like USA, Versus, ESPN, BBC America, SciFi,
Food Network and others.  It is really sad that there is no
(practical) solution for recording this programming with Myth.

For the time being I have a cable company DVR to pick up these
channels.  It's not ideal (10-20 hours of HD capacity, limited
functionality) but I have no choice.  For me it isn't about money so
much as spending my time watching the best available programming.