[mythtv-users] Linksys Kiss 1600 HD media player & DVD

Paul Fowler Paul.Fowler at reuters.com
Fri Nov 30 12:24:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

Has anybody considered a firmware hack on this device to use it as a
MythTV frontend.

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename
=UK/Layout&cid=1172713255586&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=
5558643212L00

Among its hardware elements are...

Networking:
- Wired and wireless networking
Video:
- HDMI out
- S-Video out
- Composite out
- Component out
- SCART out
Audio:
- Analogue out
- SPDIF optical out
- SPDIF coaxial out
Other:
- USB2 accessory port for external hard drive, camera or ipod as an
extra media store
- IR remote included, and internal IR receiver
- DVD drive included
- Internal Mains Poswer supply.
- Fanless operation
- Reflashable firmware - hackers enter here ?
- H.264 capable with withd a dedicated mpeg hardware decoder.
- Size 230x345x55
- Weight 2.2kg
- Fanless operation

I believe if this is hackable it would make an excellent front end
device, and yes I appreciate that it's position in the market is to try
and do some of what MythTV does, but we could make it do MythTV Frontend
properly ?

The current firmeware download is 16.3MB.
The firmware is also GPL based and opensource at
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/opensourcecode/KiSS/KiSS1600/1.1.4/GPL.zip
And (35MB)
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/opensourcecode/KiSS/KiSS1600/1.1.4/903211301_KISS1
600_GPL_License_1.1.4.tgz (7MB)

Any thoughts?

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales