[mythtv-users] Potential Debian UID GID issues with NFS mounted recording directory?

Eric Pheatt eric.pheatt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:55:46 UTC 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 5:04 PM, Lonnie Borntreger <myth at borntreger.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:49 -0800, Eric Pheatt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently decided to upgrade my MBE that I have running on a Kuro
> > HG/WR Nas enclosure and trashed the mounted partitions ... Long fat
> > fingered story ... I was able to reinstall a mixed sarge/etch base and
> > restore the recording partition and the mysql database but the UID and
> > GID's on the recordings do not match the mythtv UID and GID as a
> > result of the reinstall.
> >
> > Obviously I can chown the files but I vaguely remember (but can't for
> > the life of me find documentation to the effect) that I'll run into
> > nfs permission issues if the UID and GID's are different on the host
> > and client machines.
> >
> > On my SBE/FE I installed 2 years ago using Knoppmyth the mythtv uid is
> > 100 while the gid is 102 nfs mounts the entire /myth directory
> > (including tv video and music) from the Nas for central storage.
> >
> > Does anyone have some easy tips/scripts for chageing system wide the
> > ownership files owned by myth (or any arbitraty user for that matter)
> > from one UID/GID to another if there are issues?
>
> It would be easier to edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group on the
> re-installed system and make the UID/GID for mythtv match the old
> values.
>
> Lonnie Borntreger

For the sake of the list ... I ended up changing both machines mythtv
UID and GID's to 113 (arbitrarily chosen from the unused UID/GID
available) by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files for the
mythtv user and group. Then, ran the following command to find all of
the files orphaned by the change I found on a Debian Security
Checklist (http://www.servepath.com/support/debian_securitychecklist.htm).

find / -path /proc -prune -o -nouser -o -nogroup

and then took the list of files returned and used chown appropriately
to reassign ownership.

-Eric