[mythtv-users] HDTV Question from somebody considering MythTV

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:55:39 UTC 2007

> > 3) Using a HD Tivo to capture from CableCard and extracting that video
> > into MythTV for distribution to other rooms, etc.
>
> In theory this can be done; however, it will require hacking the TiVo and
> finding a way to integrate the TiVo with the MythTV system. I don't know of
> any ready-made software or instructions to do this, so if you attempt it
> you'll be heading into uncharted territory.

Some time ago I found a web site that explained how one could connect
to a TiVo box via web browser, login as tivo (I think) using the MAK
as the password, and download recorded content via the browser.  The
downloaded content was still encrypted, using the MAK as the key, but
could be decrypted using a standalone utility.  What's done with a
browser can be automated with wget and friends.  I don't know if that
capability is still supported, or supported with a Series 3, but if it
is, it seems a lot more straightforward (believe it or not) than
hacking one's TiVo.  And it seems as though it might even be quite
useful.  :-)

--wpd