[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Nov 23 19:02:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:38:23AM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
> I wanted to try and see how to compile and use the latest SVN
> version, so I backed up my database, followed the SVN on Fedora Wiki
> article
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core)
> and compiled everything.  All seemed to work fine, but now when I
> try to start the frontend, I get an error stating: "error while
> object file: No such file or directory".  Also, if I enter
> mythbackend --version, it tells me 0.20.2-169.fc6, which is what I
> was running previously.  Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Are you aware that there are trunk packages at ATrpms (bleeding)?
Which happens to be just two days old, so there isn't much in svn
trunk that isn't in the packages.

If you want to check out svn trunk code by testign and reporting to
developers what you find out, then the packages are a very good start,
as you may find also bugs in packaging and help us improve the
packages themselves. Furthermore the packages do give some points in
time of the trunk to be able to compare with other users.

If OTOh you want to gather some experience in mythtv building (maybe
because you want to become a developer, contribute some code/plugin
etc), then you should remove the packages completely and start from
scratch.

The suggestions made in this thread follow a hybrid model (keeping
parts of the packages, having a dual setup under /usr and /usr/local
etc, removing package files w/o removeing the package from the package
database etc.). I wouldn't recommend doing that. Either you need
latest code as a user (which you get w/o any warranties, of course,
and only under the assumption that if it breaks you'll follow usual
mythtv bug reporting procedure, backtraces etc), or you need to
develop in which case the packaging will be just in your way.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net