[mythtv-users] ira-3 receiver and URC-6131remote

Bruce Taber brutab at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 12:03:29 UTC 2007

Matt Lane wrote:

>     I have a number of these units running on FC7 & FC8 using the
>     Hauppauge
>     remotes. The lircd version is 0.8.3-CVS. Do you have the options for
>     lircd setup to use the irman driver?
>
>     [user at shuttle1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/lircd
>     # Options to lircd
>     LIRCD_OPTIONS="-H irman -d /dev/ttyS0"
>
>     Now, if I could figure out the Tira magic incantation things would
>     be a
>     bit better.
>
>     Bruce
>     ---------------------------------------------------------
>

> Nope, didn't know i needed irman.  Okay, I have that installed and put
> in the line above as you said.  Now when I do a irw the service lircd
> status gives me:
> lircd dead but subsys locked
>
> And the messages say:
> Nov 20 21:05:42 myth-fe1 lircd-0.8.2-CVS[2935]: could not open /dev/ttyS0
> Nov 20 21:05:42 myth-fe1 lircd-0.8.2-CVS[2935]: irman_init():
> Input/output error
>
> cat /dev/ttyS0 gives me:
>             cat: /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
>
> irrecord --driver=irman --device=/dev/ttyS0 /home/mythtv/6131.irman
> gives me:
>
> irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check
> permissions)
>

> Thoughts?  I am wondering how mucked up things are now because of
> trying to get things working the other way.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

It sounds like you are having more basic problems than just the ira-2
device configuration. The /dev/ttyS0 needs to be adjusted for your
specific setup. The ttySx is dependent on how your system is setup. If a
'cat /dev/ttyS0' is attempted on a working system the command is just a
blank line waiting. If the 'cat' is done on an unconnected port (such as
/dev/ttyS1 on my system) it will display the same as you have shown above.

Here is what is listed for serial ports on my system:

ll /dev/ttyS?
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS3

You can check your serial ports with stty -F /dev/ttySx. That will
provide the parameters of the specific port. A port with a working ira-2
on my system shows:

[root at shuttle1 ~]# stty -F /dev/ttyS0
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 1;
ignbrk -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

The unconnected port displays:

[root at shuttle1 ~]# stty -F /dev/ttyS1
stty: /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error.

You need resolve which port you have actually connected the ira-2 device
first. Then make those adjustments in the configuration.

Bruce