[mythtv-users] Newbie with a shopping list for review please

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed Nov 21 11:33:41 UTC 2007

bryan wrote:
> Hello,
> Below is my shopping list for my MythTV system or LinuxMCE sytem not sure
> yet.

> Shopping list
> 1-ASUS M2NPV-VM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
> 1-AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz Socket AM2 Processor
> 1-Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Memory
> 1-CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply
> 3-Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
> 1-Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card w/MCE Remote 253
> PCI Interface
> 1-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04
> 1-SILVERSTONE SST-LC17-B Black Computer Case

The CPU with the listed tuner card is overkill.  You really wouldn't
need that much power unless you:

Want the commercial flagging/transcoding to be finished really quickly
You are future-proofing for ATSC/HD watching.

The Hauppauge card you listed is SD only.  A P4-based Celeron can deal
with that quite easily.

2 gigs is 1 gig too much.  While memory is cheap right now, I would be
surprised if that second stick is really used for anything beyond system
caching.  The money spent on the RAM /might/ be better used elsewhere,
depending on how much you are paying per stick.

This is what my system looks like after 22 days of uptime (I have a dual
ATSC tuner FE/BE, no analog tuners, sending audio to an external 5.1

Mem:   1035240k total,   960100k used,    75140k free,    13052k buffers
Swap:   257032k total,      584k used,   256448k free,   689660k cached

The top four memory hogs:

24936 mythtv    15   0  220m 116m  23m S  0.0 11.5 147:12.06 mythfrontend
  3078 root      26  10  632m  56m  15m S  0.0  5.6  24:06.52 mythbackend
24902 root      15   0 44584  37m 3784 S  0.0  3.7  12:51.65 X
  5644 apache    16   0 18428  11m 3172 S  0.0  1.1   0:00.67 httpd

Power supply:

Personally, I'd go for a 500 watt Seasonic, but that's me.  :-)

I have that exact case.  If I was to do it again, I probably wouldn't
have gotten it.

With a full size ATX board, it's a bit cramped towards the front of the
case near the drive bays.

The top cover is a bit flimsy IMO.

The drive bays are a pain to install/remove due to bad screw placement
(check the quick install page here

(This is my biggest complaint) The optical drive 'covers' are actually
attached to the optical drive via double stick tape.

(See http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/sslc17/4.html
for a picture.  The quick install page also shows the procedure for
removing the covers)

Not only is this cheesy IMO, but optical drives with a curved tray
faceplate (which that Lite-On has) may have a hard time with this method
of attachment.  IIRC, my printed book manual for the case said not to
use drives with a curved tray faceplate.

Aside from that, the loudest parts of the system (Northwood P4, parallel
IDE drives) are the hard drives.  The cooling vents for the system do
not generate a lot of air turbulence,  helping make a quieter system.

Tuner card:

Unless you are planning on capturing from your local cable co, or
firewire from a satellite feed, I'd get an ATSC tuner card for the local
digital broadcasts.

And as always, YMMV.  :-)