[mythtv-users] Newbie with a shopping list for review please

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:16:18 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 9:47 PM, bryan <bryan at bryansweb.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Below is my shopping list for my MythTV system or LinuxMCE sytem not sure
> yet.
>
> I will mostly be recording off of digital cable TV and moving some of my
> movies on to the system for easy access, but I like the idea of having one
> remote to control all of the audio/video gear. I am guessing this is done
> with some sort of IR transmitter I don't have on my list yet, what do I
> need?
>
> As for the list I am trying to build a low wattage/low heat system, any
> recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan
>
> Shopping list
> 1-ASUS M2NPV-VM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
> 1-AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz Socket AM2 Processor
> 1-Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Memory
> 1-CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply
> 3-Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
> 1-Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card w/MCE Remote 253
> PCI Interface
> 1-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04
> 1-SILVERSTONE SST-LC17-B Black Computer Case

Personally, I'd dump the second gig of ram and invest in a slightly
faster processor.  My mythbox has never used over 1GB, and you'll be
happy with the processor power for commflagging/transcoding.

As for the ir blaster, I personally use a "MyBlaster" but I've heard
that the manufacturer has gone out of business...but if you look at
the LIRC site there's a list of supported blasters/transmitters.  For
my new backend system, I'm looking at an IguanaWorks transmitter.

--
Doug