[mythtv-users] Astound Unencrypted Channels

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Nov 21 02:46:50 UTC 2007

Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> says:
> When this happens, and they match the lineups for former-RCN
> customers to be like what the lineup for other Astound customers
> receive, it is anyones guess as to what will go over firewire.

True. However, I am optimistic that a channel-lineup change will not
involve encryption changes. Also, Kirk Bocek (who subscribes to
Astound in the East Bay) told me during the summer that there he a)
has clear QAM on all channels, including HD locals (he doesn't
subscribe to any premium channels of any kind) and b) Astound
rebroadcasts analog stations on digital channels.

> In the meantime, go for it, you will get lets of channels over
> firewire.  The HD channels available are less than what is available
> from comcast, but of course, very few of those on comcast are
> available via firewire.

The forthcoming new channels will significantly narrow the gap,
assuming that they will be the ones our East Bay counterparts have
that we don't. In any case, given the choice between keeping HDNet
and--especially--HDNet Movies and getting the additional channels
Comcast offers, the choice is easy. (Hitchcock marathon next weekend
on HDNet Movies; my MythTV setup is primed for that!)

> my STB runs real hot,

That'd be a characteristic of any DCT-6200, as opposed to something
carrier-specific.

> and the firewire is not so reliable.

Sorry to hear that you've never completely figured our your FireWire
issues; other than the two caveats I listed in my original reply, I'm
perfectly happy with my FireWire connectivity, which I've had for two
years next month.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Slave backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6