[mythtv-users] Watch TV default tuner?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 18 19:41:44 UTC 2007

On 11/18/2007 02:11 PM, Rich West wrote:
> We usually never watch Live TV, but we have some house guests that are
> news junkies.  Obviously, recording news is kind of silly,

I just don't get this belief.  My parents think the same.  They refuse
to record the news on their (non-Myth) PVR because "it's not like it's
worth watching tomorrow"...  But, if one were to record the news, he can
a) start watching whenever he wants, b) skip boring/stupid parts (true,
there would be nothing left), c) skip commercials, and d) spend all the
time he saves doing other things.  After all, if you start watching the
6:00 news at 6:20, is it really that stale?  Is it really a big deal if
it gets recorded and you don't watch it and it's deleted tomorrow?

>  so they have
> been bugging me about problems when watching Live TV which I new existed
> but it's been low priority for me (up until now).

Remember that you're even recording LiveTV and it's not deleted until
tomorrow.  So, just set up a recording rule that records and tell Myth
to auto-expire recordings and keep only one episode of each news show
you record.  And, if the news is the only thing on at the time, you can
set it to an extremely low priority so it's expired first (assuming you
use a priority-based auto-expiration algorithm).

IMHO, LiveTV is a complete waste of time--even for news and sports.

> I recently added an HDHomeRun to get two HD inputs.  As you can guess,
> compared to the DirecTV boxes, theover-the-air HD channels are somewhat
> limiting in channel selection.  I would like to have it such that the
> DirecTV tuner boxes are selected first when (and only when) watching
> live tv, but I would still like MythTV to record scheduled recordings on
> HD first.
>
> I realize that you can change tuners when watching Live TV, but it is an
> inconvenience and it is difficult to train our house guests to make that
> extra step (ok, these guests are in their 70s).  And, after last night's
> 'conversation' as to why tuner #1 wasn't coming up at all (tuner #2 and
> tuner #3 were recording, and tuner #4 and tuner #5 are from the
> HDHomeRun) and why they couldn't simply "watch tv", I am hoping to get
> things so that they 'just work' for them yet not disrupt our recording
> of shows.
>
> Is it possible to do this?
>
> (the issue with being unable to switch to tuner #1 on this one set
> baffles me (it was not in use))

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

then, while reconnecting inputs, connect them in order such that the
most-preferred input is first.  If you want LiveTV on the most-preferred
input, you /must/ disable:

Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows.
If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

But that means that if you're watching LiveTV and a scheduled recording
is about to start, Myth will attempt to boot you from input.

Mike