[mythtv-users] Deleting Tuner Cards from mythtv-setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Nov 18 17:28:59 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/17/2007 05:41 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> (And, really, 2-3 minutes is a /very/ conservative estimate for
>>> re-creating capture cards.  I could delete all video sources and all
>>> capture cards, re-create video sources, re-scan channels, re-create
>>> capture cards, and re-connect inputs in 2-3 minutes.  Then, it would
>>> take a couple of minutes to fix xmltvid's after the rest is
>>> done--though, since I've done it once before, I'd pull that from a backup.)
>> Easy for you to say, from a US perspective. Trust me, in the UK, if I have to do
>> anything which requires changing/moving/deleting etc a tuner, it will probably
>> result in *at least* an afternoon's work. And I probably won't get it right
>> first time, since I have not yet found (or heard of) any way of automating the
>> process.
>
> I have only OTA digital channels.  I did say, scan for channels in
> there.  What'd different between that and non-US?  Either way, you use
> mythtv to scan for channels, then you fix the xmltvid's.  I'm not using
> the SchedulesDirect/mythfilldatabase approach to create channels since
> that's not the right approach for digital channels.
>
> Regardless, the OP doesn't need to delete video sources, so it's not
> hard to recreate capture cards and reconnect inputs.

OK, I assumed, as many probably do, that US -> Schedules Direct.

The UK problem, for which I believe someone has a forthcoming script, is that
the station IDs given when scanning digital multiplexes do not match what the RT
xmltv scripts expect. Therefore, unless one is aware of it, there is no (or very
little match) when mfdb is first run so you end up with two sets of channels in
the table - one set which can receive programs, and another set which can be
updated  by tv_grab_uk_rt. It's a pain matching the data, copying the xmltvids,
and deleting the duplicates - around 100 or so entries.

Yes, it's rescanning the channels that's the problem. The sources, once set up
and tailored, are reasonably stable.

Mike Perkins