[mythtv-users] How to record from a specific source ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 17 16:40:59 UTC 2007

On 11/17/2007 08:00 AM, lanas wrote:
> On Friday, 16 Nov 2007 18:35:44 -0500, lanas wrote :
>>   I have two inputs on the PVR500.  One from digital cable (i.e.
>> channel 3, composite input), the other from straight cable.  I want to
>> manually set a recording time for the composite input. but there seems
>> to be no such option but a choice of channels.  Is it possible at
>> all ?
>>
> What I did in the end was to remove a connection from MythTV setup so
> that only the compositie (i.e. digital cable box) remains.  This assured
> that the channel 3 specified in manual recording was indeed the channel
> 3 from that specific input.
>
> But that's awkward.  Shutting down the frontend and backend to run
> mythtvsetup, etc...  And afterwards adding back tuner 1.

Ummm...  Channel change script.  If specified, MythTV doesn't change the
channel, it runs the script.

If you mean you're unplugging the STB from composite to record something
from, i.e., a VCR, that's not the same video source (and, therefore, has
different--i.e. only one--channels).  You need to fix your
configuration.  Search the archives for explanations of how to do this
(and why--in most any case--using some tool other than MythTV to do the
recording is more appropriate).

> I'm quite surprised that a choice of inputs is not offered when
> scheduling a recording.  It assumes that all inputs are from the same
> source

Think that over...  You configured MythTV with mythtv-setup, where you
specified Input Connections.  There, you specify which video source is
connected to which inputs (and you specify things like the external
channel change command...).

>  and that's a bit surprising in the Linux world where modularity
> is a strong aspect.
>
> Or perhaps I'm missing something completly.  It surely does not seem
> obvious from the user menus.  How would you schedule a recording from a
> specific input of a multi-input TV card ?
You don't.  If it's available on multiple inputs, MythTV chooses which
input to use.  If it's /not/ available on multiple inputs, but MythTV
thinks it is, you've misconfigured your system.

Mike