[mythtv-users] Mechanical cable splitter

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Nov 16 16:17:36 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 November 2007 11:01:35 R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > On Nov 16, 2007 6:34 AM, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> >> If there was a
> >> mechanical switch hanging out at the back then it would be simple to
> >> choose between the two types of cable.
>
> Radio Shack has these for about $20.00 or so. A sliding switch with 2
> coax inputs and one coax output.
>
> I use one to switch the TV input between the antenna coax and the cable
> coax.
>
> (It's still annoying to actually have to get out of the chair and walk
> across the room to slide the switch...think we might be a little spoilt?)

I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for such switches with remote controls. I don't
recall where I saw this, though. From a MythTV point of view, this could
actually be useful beyond the "lazy couch potato" crowd, since you could
theoretically program Myth to emulate the IR controls as part of a
channel-changing script, enabling you to switch between two sources. OTOH, if
both sources have unique program listings, this would require associating two
program sources to one input, which AFAIK isn't possible, so you'd need to
create your own custom combined source. I imagine it'd get ugly fast; it'd be
far easier to use separate inputs, either on one card or on two.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com