[mythtv-users] Mechanical cable splitter

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:56:27 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 6:34 AM, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
>   We have this relatively new digital cable service that comes with its
> own tuner box.  So the TV has to remain on channel 3.  Upstream from
> that box there's a cable splitter, so one feed goes straight to the
> Myth box (PVR500) and it gets regular cable fine.  Now, is there out
> there some kind of a cable (I mean the actual physical cable) switch
> that would enable the Myth box to either get its feed from the straight
> cable or from the new digital cable tuner ?  For the time being I swap
> the cable when I want to record off the new channels, but this prevents
> the Nyth box to be tucked away in the TV cabinet.  If there was a
> mechanical switch hanging out at the back then it would be simple to
> choose between the two types of cable.

There are certainly mechanical cable switches out there; cable
companies have used them for years.  However, most digital cable boxes
also have a composite or S-Video output. That would be the best way to
get the cable box output into your PVR500.  Alternatively, if you've
got an old VCR, you could use that to tune the output of the cable
box, and feed the composite video from the VCR into the PVR500.

Carl Fongheiser

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list