[mythtv-users] Master backend always up, slaves sleep/wake

Mike Hildebrand [m.hildebrand@gmx.de] m.hildebrand at gmx.de
Thu Nov 15 20:09:18 UTC 2007

>On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:03:17PM -0500, Jon wrote:
>>

>> Brad Templeton wrote:
>> > So I'm interested in people's tales of how hard it was to get these
things
>> > working:
>> >         The tv402u or the wintv-pvr-usb
>> >         Suspend/hibernate with nvidia card
>>
>>  Add
>> Option "NvAGP" "1"
>> to your xorg.conf, S3 works great.  ~2 secs. to ready state.  This may
>> only work with recent drivers.
>>

>BTW, on another note, the docs seem to imply the typical situation with
>sleeping and wakeup is for all the servers to go to sleep if the system is
>idle, and all to wakeup if there is recording to do.
>
>What if the desire is that the master backend is an always on server, and
>you want it to wake the slaves when they have recording to do, then have
>them shut down when they are idle.   (Ideally in a situation with multiple
>slaves only waking the slave that's needed, though for now that's not a big
>issue for me as I am using only 1 slave backend and 1 master)  And of course
>waking a slave if a frontend wants to talk to it.
>
>Is this a workable configuration?  It seems I might be able to kludge it by
>having the shutdown script on the master do nothing while having the one on
>the slave shut the system down, though the master might keep thinking it's
>idle.
>
>This is for a situation where you do expect to have a server that's up all
>the time (doing other stuff like email/dns/mysql/etc.) but don't need that
>for
>slaves.

This question covers on of my top issues. Is there yet any solution to it?

My Master Backend is always on but if the Slave Backend is off, I can't
schedule overlapping recordings because MythTV shows the Slave encoder as
disconnected.

My system runs Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.10) with myth 0.20.2-0-ubuntu