[mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:14:03 UTC 2007

On 11/14/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Tony Brummett wrote:
> > That's completely dependent on you local cable franchise.  At my
> > location, I can't get _any_ HD from the cable.  All the relevant QAM
> > channels are encrypted so I can't tune them directly, and they're
> > marked as not free to copy with the 5C settings, so I can't  get 'em
> > through the firewire on the cable box.
>
> Then they are out of compliance with the FCC.

I keep hearing this, but I haven't seen any proof that it's true.

Everyone seems to agree that the must-carry and in-the-clear rules
applies to local analog stations.  Many people believe that the rules
also apply to local digital channels, but I don't know of any
definitive decision either way.  In fact, my local cable company
doesn't carry the local ABC HD station at all right now because of a
contract dispute.

But I don't think anyone has tried to argue that those rules apply to
cable-only stations, SD or HD.

-- Tony