[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Nov 13 02:16:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 10:51 -0800, Blammo wrote:
> Over time I've migrated all my personal myth installations to Centos.
> I'm VERY fond of the stableness of the RHEL cores, and as long as you
> aren't running bleeding-edge hardware (hence the need for a bleeding
> edge kernel) you'll be very happy.

Ditto.  I started my myth days on FC1 (i386), went to FC3 (x64), then
FC5 (x64).  Now I'm running both of my backends on CentOS 5.  And I've
got one HD-3000 tuner, 1 Firewire tuner, 2 PVR-150 cards taking a coax
feed, and 1 PVR-250 card taking a composite feed.  There were a few
issues at first, but everything pretty much works now.

> The only caveat I can offer, is that right now there are a couple of
> packages from ATRPMS that are in the "testing" train, that you have to
> enable to complete a "yum install mythtv-suite". But in hundreds of
> hours of recording, and on machines that are thrashing 24/7, it's
> solid and stable.. and honestly, at the end of the day, my only
> choice.

I ended up skipping the atrpms mythtv builds, since I've been running
SVN for over 3 years.  But all of my dependent packages come from either
Axel (atrpms.net) or Dag (dag.wieers.com), so I don't have to worry
about anything other than myth itself...

	-I