[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 12 04:12:34 UTC 2007

Arpotu wrote:
> Hey all, it's me again.
>
> As I look around for a good linux distro to build MythTV on, I find that
> some support it better than others.  Is there a "best Linux" for MythTV?
> I suspect this is a somewhat political question, as one can "make it work"
> for most distros.  I've tried it on Ubuntu, which is iffy - and I've heard
> it works on Fedora, but does it (easily) work with CentOS or RHEL?  Pure
> Debian?  Mandriva?  Knoppix?  Is it better, in general, to use precompiled
> packages or does MythTV work better compiled from scratch?
>
> Thanks again,
> Arpotu.

As someone who is facing end-of-life on my Fedora Core 6 install I have
given this a lot of thought. For me the best choice appears to be
Debian. I have decided on the testing release. I like that its still apt
based package management and I have not had any real problems using it
with my xbox as a frontend. The lifetime on this should be plenty long
enough and its quite a bit more stable than Fedora with its frequent
kernel and driver updates.

Of course, your mileage may vary.....

Bill