[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

Randall Hopper viznut at charter.net
Sat Nov 10 17:30:25 UTC 2007

David Krainess:
 |> With the cost of computing hardware becoming more inexpensive all the
 |> time, why would you want to so this?
 |
 |Then I could just "yum upgrade" on one PC, instead of
 |4 :)

Just use diskless myth frontends that netboot off the backend.  Then only
one system upgrade to do, and one system disk.  Works great for me.

Only trick is cooking your "update-client-roots" script.

David Brodbeck:
 |Maybe the best solution would be one big backend, and then low-
 |powered diskless frontends.  This would maintain the benefits of
 |keeping the playback decoding close to the display, while letting you
 |use quieter, more power-efficient hardware for most of the systems.
 |
 |A fly in the ointment may be HDTV, which genuinely requires a lot of
 |resources for playback.

No HD problems here.  I can watch one (prob two) 1920x1080i progs on the
diskless front-ends while recording yet another on the backend.

Each 1920x1080i stream to the clients is only ~2 MB/sec, so if you've
got 100 Mbps ethernet strung around your house, 1 stream only eats around
25% of the total bandwidth.

As far as playback on the clients, the Athlon 64 3500+ CPUs and
GeForce 6200 LEs with Xv is more than enough to do a perfect job.

Randall