[mythtv-users] Super flakey FireWire capture

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Sat Nov 10 16:32:25 UTC 2007

Ryan Allen wrote:
> Is FireWire generally known to be "rock solid"?  Do I have flaky
> hardware?  What are others experiences recording HDTV with FireWire?

It's rock solid for me - I have firewire_tester in my Myth startup
script (/etc/init.d/mythbackend on Gentoo) just to "prime the pump" but
after that, it's solid as can be.

There were some growing pains though.  I had to identify all the
channels that were available via firewire.  If Myth tunes to a channel
that's not available over firewire, the STB needs to be changed back to
a "known good" channel, and then have firewire_tester run again.

I run it over Broadcast though - try "firewire_tester -n0 -P0 -B" for
your own nodes and ports to see what shakes out.

Greg