[mythtv-users] Is my MythTV an UpConverting DVD Player?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Fri Nov 9 14:46:07 UTC 2007

Josh White wrote:
> ...or the display does some kind of upscaling/converting.
>
> On Nov 8, 2007 7:28 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

>> with 1:1
>> player) with
>>>>
>>> MythDVD does not, to my knowledge, perform any kind of
>>> upscaling/upconverting - yet.
>>>
>>> I don't know about xine.
>>
>> MythDVD obviously does SOME sort of upconverting, or else:
>> -videos would be horribly interlaced
>> -they would be in a small 720x480 window in the middle

My assumption was that by upscaling/upconverting, the OP meant some sort
of enhancement of the original image to beyond simple scaling to the
native display size.  My understanding is that this is what the
upscaling DVD players claim to do.

They cannot create image data that doesn't exist in the original, but
they can do some fancy-schmancy stuff to improve the image on the larger
display.  (At least I think this is what they do.) This is what I meant
by, "MythDVD doesn't do this, to my knowledge."

It - along with X - does a great job with simply scaling to the native
display size.  480p DVDs look identically wonderful on my 1080p set
whether played through my standalone DVD player or through Myth.