[mythtv-users] RAID suggestions?

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 01:09:47 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:

> Also, if you buy your RAID card from a reputable manufacturer, you'll
> generally find newer cards can read arrays created with older ones.
> At least, that seems to be the case with the 3ware cards I'm familiar
> with.

Can you elaborate on your experience with them? I was looking at those
and Raidcore cards today. When I had worked with big iron back in the
day, we'd drive the storagewerks cabinets with dac960 cards. Throw an
8Mb simm at them and even the nt40 SQL server was lightning quick. A lot
can be said for the heavy guns of HW raid.

I'm off to shop for 750's and maybe a controller. Maybe not. The mobo
has plenty of sata headers and I ordered a brisbane for it so I'm not
worried about the overhead and I'd like to minimize heat and power. I do
want to remote the drives elsewhere. Now I'll have to read up on SANs as
well.

--
mw