[mythtv-users] Xorg maxes out CPU

peter abplanalp pta-myth at psaconsultants.com
Wed Nov 7 16:25:08 UTC 2007

hi all,

i've recently been having a problem with my myth box.  after some time, xorg begins to hog the cpu and i can't get my display back no matter what i do.  i've tried killing xorg, ctrl-alt-f1 to get a text console, init 3 followed by init 5 but the only thing that seems to work is a reboot.  everything else on the box seems fine.  i can ssh in and do anything i want.

this may not even have anything to do with myth, it could be xorg and my video card.  has anyone seen anything like this?  can someone give me some pointers on what i might look into to diagnose the problem?

i recently rebuilt my myth box on centos5.  i'm using the stock x stuff from centos because i couldn't get the atrpms packages to work with my nvidia card (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)).

thanks,

-peter