[mythtv-users] Any way to automate handling delayed programs?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Nov 7 15:56:41 UTC 2007

Ma Begaj wrote:

> My explaination was almost totally wrong :)). I just read a little bit
> about VPS and ShowView ... and VPS/PDC is the solution :).
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Program_System,
>
> but that is only working for or Europe or maybe only
> Germany/Austria/Switzerland. and most of the channels do not use it at
> all.
>
> Is there some kind of unique information, which is being transfered in
> the stream? maybe in DVB?

PDC was offered on analogue VCRs in the UK, and we tried to use it on occasion.
My memories of it are that it was definitely not foolproof. Some broadcasters
used it, some didn't, some were fairly scrupulous about turning it on/off to
mark the beginnings/ends of programs, some were... less than scrupulous.

After getting fingers burned and losing the ends of programs once or twice, we
ended up doing what I do with Myth - add 5/10 minutes on to the end of the
recording time, and ignoring PDC.

Mike Perkins