[mythtv-users] Fwd: Duplicate matching doesn't seem to work

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 23:03:37 UTC 2007

Stephen Robertson wrote:

> It seems to be quite common on my guide data, I'm using the OTA data
> broadcast on DVB in the UK.
>
> Changing to check on description duplicate matching does work ok and
> there is no reason for me not to use that other than I have to
> remember to do that!!  I can't find anyway of changing that to be the
> default option, even though I was convinced I had seen it.
>
> Anyone suggest the best way to suggest that this be a new feature/bug
> fix? I might even be adventurous and try and have a look at fixing it
> myself though that may take me sometime!!

Actually, the situation in the UK can be *worse*. There are shows regularly
broadcast on BBC1/2 which are repeated on BBC3/4 or vice versa, which are
essentially duplicates for scheduling purposes. However, the descriptions
provided by RT are quite often different, even if it's only by a word or two
(I've searched, it can be quite difficult to spot sometimes).

Fortunately the above scenario means you have a choice of recording, most times,
so doesn't have the impact that Stephen's problem has.

I have attempted to eliminate some of the dups by restricting the matching to
just Title+Subtitle, but this often just produces "generic" entries which is
worse. So I usually err on the side of caution and use the eyeball to weed out dups.

Mike Perkins