[mythtv-users] Upscaling SD content on an HDTV set

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 6 04:36:04 UTC 2007

David Fishburn wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Richard Woelk wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>     Using a 42" screen, you won't be able to see all 1920x1080 pixels
>> further than about 4-5 feet away, but one reason I went to a 1080p set
>> is that it is hard for computers to output a good interlaced signal.
>>

> Boy, never thought of that before.  Are you saying it is more CPU
> intensive to create an interlace signal that an full 1080p signal?
> Even though HD broadcast television doesn't have full 1080p signals
> yet?
>

>> I have a 61" Samsung DLP, and I find that mythDVD looks better than my
>> standard DVD player hooked up via component.
>> I don't have an HD capture solution, so my mythtv watching is always SD
>> from a PVR-250 capture card. It is definitly watchable from 8 feet away.
>>

> Since I am using a PVR-500, could you tell me what settings (Utilities
> -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Recording Profiles -> MPEG-2 Encoders ->
> Default) you used:
> Width:
> Height:
> Aspect Ratio:
> Bitrate:
> Max Bitrate:
>
> Much appreciated.
> Dave
Width - 720
Height - 480
Aspect ratio - 4:3 for standard def channels, 16:9 for high-def (I'll
explain later)
bitrate - 4500
max-bitrate - 6500

This gives me files about 2.6 GiB per hour.

The aspect ratio is a trick I use to prevent recording black bars. My
satellite box can force its component output to any standard resolution,
with the effect that if I set it to 480i, even the s-video output is
anamorphic 16x9
I have modified the high-quality profile to be the same bitrate as
default, but in 16:9, and I use that when recording from the high def
channels

I'll let you know too, that the wobulation that my tv does to get full
1920x1080 adds a little blurring / anti-aliasing effect to all the
displayed inputs. Its blurry enough that trying to read text or play
first person shooters causes me eyestrain.

here is one explanation
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2004/homeentertainment/article/0,22221,767810,00.html

-Richard