[mythtv-users] Hard crashes of mythtv backends

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Tue Nov 6 03:30:09 UTC 2007

Peter Schachte wrote:
> Michael Rice wrote:
>
>> Anyone running xfs or jfs and ivtv that doesn't experience these
>> crashes?  Or anyone running xfs or jfs and crashing without ivtv
>> cards?
>>

> I'm running jfs for my data partition (/ is ext3), no ivtv (3 different DVB-T
> cards), and I get random backend crashes, probably about once a week on
> average, though sometimes multiple times within a few hours.  This is on an
> Athlon 64 single core CPU, NForce3 chipset.
>
> Does anyone who gets these sort of random backend crashes *not* use transcoding
> or commflagging?  When I was trying to track down this problem at one point I
> noticed a correlation between crashes and the completion of a transcode or
> commflag job, but I don't have enough disk space to disable all jobs for a few
> weeks to see if that solves the problem.

I have a PVR500 and I use jfs on my /myth partition.  My Mobo is a
nforce4 dual-core AMD 64 variety.  My backend does not crash after
commercial flagging or transcode jobs.  It used to crash using the EIT
scanner, but I've turned that off now.

If you start your backend with the "-v all" option, it will log huge
amounts of information and may help you narrow down the problem.

Bob