[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 5 19:15:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Mike Perkins wrote:
>> David Krainess wrote:
>>> Comments, would this work at all...?  Could this
>>> support a couple SD and one HD setup, two HD setups?
>> Two comments. The 1970's called, they want their mainframe back.
>> Not too many of
>> them around these days, wonder why?
> You sure about that?
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/05/0325243

I've been seeing a *lot* of business applications deployed as "thin
clients," lately.  Everything old is new again!  The mainframe
connected by modem to a serial terminal has been replaced by a server
farm connected by Internet to a Citrix client.

OTOH, I don't think this model works very well for video-intensive
applications like MythTV.  You really want the video decompression to
happen on the user's end of the network, as close to the display as