[mythtv-users] Experiences with NetVista FE? What models/specs should I get for 720p/1080i?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:34:21 UTC 2007

I'm happy with mine.  I'm only using it for SDTV, but it seems to work
fine.  It takes "low profile" agp/pci cards, which makes it a bit difficult
to use if you are trying to find tuner card, but you can always go usb.
Mine is rather old, and it has PC133 memory, and an ancient P4 processor
(mine came with a 1.6ghz, but I swapped in a 1.7ghz P4 I had laying
around).  Mine also came with a 256mb of ram, but I added another gig for
$44 (including shipping).  I should have only added another 512, since i've
never seen it use more than 768mb.  I installed a Geforce FX5200 video card,
but I suppose it wouldn't take much to put a Geforce 6200 series card in
(which has a DVI output.).

Overall, I like the case, it fits well in a stereo cabinet, and it's very
quite under normal frontend operation (more intensive jobs can make the fan
kick on, but even then it's not that bad).

I haven't messed with mine in terms of "suspend to ram" or any kind of
hibernation type stuff, that's down on my list right now.  I haven't
successfully setup my remote control, and once that works, then I'm on to
the power usage issues.