[mythtv-users] OT: What does Fedora 8 really have to offer?

Support [ Ian Ward ] support at cyberpro.com.au
Mon Nov 5 02:06:56 UTC 2007

Peter Loron wrote:

> Why not switch over to CentOS 5? Much longer support window than the FC
> series.
>
> -Pete
>
> _
My dedicated backend was FC5 and have FC6 on three FE's ( don;t ask me
why they are different.... )
Anyway, FC5 dropped off so I figured Centos 5 for the backend would be a
good idea.

The Centos Kernels have stuff ripped out.  No digital Tuner cards.  No
xfs filesystem
There are some special Centos Extra kernels with xfs and dvb , however
the 2.6.18 kernel is still a problem for my DVB cards.
Faced with having to muck around with custom ( and updated ) kernel
config , I decided on FC7

I did a yum upgrade from FC5 to FC7.  Just to make things more
complicated, it is a x86_64 system.
There are some notes on the Fedora Site for this, and yes , things
broke.  But if you know rpm and yum you can cleanup ok.
It was still easier than a fresh install and re-merge of configurations.

So, in summary, RHEL5 or Centos do not seem good options for the
bleeding edge requirements of Myth.
A backend needs DVB cards and maybe XFS filsystems
A frontend needs up to date xorg, nvidia, mpeg2 etc.. etc..

<Flame suit on>
I'm thinking Ubuntu may be a better option as apt seems much smarter
than yum.
Does Ubuntu handle major version upgrades better?