[mythtv-users] Feature request: upcoming recordings disk usage

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 16:10:44 UTC 2007

Preston Crow wrote:
> It would be really nice if the upcoming recording screen would warn
> about running out of disk space.  If Myth knew the bitrate for each
> show, this would be easy.  For shows encoded locally, that's easy.  For
> digital shows (e.g., QAM and ATSC), it would require tracking an average
> bitrate for shows previously recorded on that channel, which seems like
> a relatively easy thing to track.
> It would be an estimate, but it should be good enough to be helpful.

I agree this would be a nice feature, especially for those of us who are
limited on storage. (I think) I've noticed that for digital stuff, at
least in the UK, the bitrate on a particular channel varies depending on
the show, and so to give a more accurate estimate you would have to
track bitrates per channel per show, not just per channel. This might
make things trickier. Maybe I'm wrong in my observation...

John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T