[mythtv-users] Feature request: upcoming recordings disk usage

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Nov 4 06:04:16 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 22:39, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/03/2007 02:30 PM, Preston Crow wrote:
> > It would be really nice if the upcoming recording screen would warn
> > about running out of disk space.  If Myth knew the bitrate for each
> > show, this would be easy.  For shows encoded locally, that's easy.  For
> > digital shows (e.g., QAM and ATSC), it would require tracking an average
> > bitrate for shows previously recorded on that channel, which seems like
> > a relatively easy thing to track.
> >
> > It would be an estimate, but it should be good enough to be helpful.
>
> However, Myth will never run out of space unless you disable autoexpire
> on all your recordings, in which case you're saying you want to manually
> manage space, so--IMHO, it's your problem, not Myth's.  :)
>
> Mike

I'd like this feature too. I have finite space (not big enough for my happy
schedule-finger), and it's sports season, with each game being 3-4 hours of
recording. I'd like to see that I'll run out of space and start auto-expiring
by, say, next Thursday so I'd better watch the non-transient stuff or
sacrifice it, or change my recording schedule. I can't trust auto-expire
because lots of my space is via a samba share (for older things I haven't
watched yet) and Myth will happily delete everything over there first and not
see any space freed until it starts deleting on the local disk.

I've thought of writing a MythWeb page for this, just an indicator of
cumulative space use. But I don't know where to start really. It would be a
nice extra column for the Upcoming Recordings page just a set of coloured
bars indicating % free.