[mythtv-users] Removing commercials

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 03:06:46 UTC 2007

On 11/1/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I found some settings in Mythtv-Setup to allow commercial flagging
> (which I had selected) and checkboxes to allow each of the 4 user jobs
> (which I didn't have selected).  I turned on the User Job #1 box and
> went into my recording, clicked the right arrow and told it to run the
> job.  It seemed to run for about 2 hours, and when I watched it, the
> commercials were still in there.  I had to FF thru them all.  During
> that 2 hour period, Mythweb said that the job was finished, but it never
> actually removed anything.

The script on the wiki uses the -i option to mythtranscode like this:
mythtranscode --honorcutlist --showprogress -i $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME -o
$VIDEODIR/$FILENAME.tmp

That doesn't work.  Try using this instead:

mythtranscode --honorcutlist -c $CHANID -s $STARTTIME --showprogress
-o $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME.tmp

Apparently --honorcutlist doesn't work with -i.
You will need to pass chanid and starttime into the script.

CHANID=$3
STARTTIME=$4

And call it:

/usr/local/bin/RemoveCommercials %DIR% %FILE% %CHANID% %STARTTIME%

Hope that helps.  Works for me now.