[mythtv-users] mythtv frontend for HDTV hardware requirements

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 1 12:43:44 UTC 2007

Milos Prudek wrote:
> In a separate backend, separate frontend setup, European HDTV, what are the
> network bandwidth requirements? 100TX or 1000TX ethernet?
>
> Will some VIA EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard be able to work as Myth frontend-only
> for European HDTV at 1080i resolution?

I have used my Via SP13000 BE/FE combo as a BE to my laptop and the
usual 100T is fine for Standard Definition.
I had trouble playing 1080i content on my laptop from the Via backend,
but that was more the laptop's fault.

A newish Via mb will do fine *AS A BACKEND*.  You can see the odd 'Via
chipsets have a DMA problem' thread but those are old chipsets. That
problem has been fixed.

Your major problem is that you want to do highDef on Via frontend. This
*CAN* work, provided you:

1)	use the video output (NOT the TV encoder output)
2)	use the openchrome driver to get xvmc and xvmc_vld

Reasons:  The VT1623 tv encoder chipset  will not do HD.. 1024x1024
only, And you need a motherboard with a DVI header since S-video will
not go there.. The VT1625 chipset *should* do HD, but the openchrome
driver does not yet support this...being worked on..

You need xvmc etc in order to get usable output on such a slow
motherboard... cannot do it with CPU power. You need the in hardware GPU
power.

The video chipsets will do up to 2048x1500 or so *out the video port*.
So your monitor/tv needs a D-15 plug that accepts the full capabilities
of the tv....And BE CAREFUL, some "HDTV's" do not actually allow that as
I found while I was searching for a new flat-screen. And some do not
even have a D-15 input.

So... possibly do-able but not trivial.

However, if you get there you have a great, small and quiet box.

Geoff