[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Nov 1 16:06:45 UTC 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 7:09 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> I saw a lot LTO1 drives in a quick eBay search for under $300. And the
> media is $30 at newegg for a 100GB native tape. I know Newegg is not
> the cheapest for LTO2 media so I assume someone can get these LTO1
> tapes cheaper somewhere else.

I'm always kind of leery about buying used tape drives, because
they're such cantankerous devices.  You really, really want a
warranty when you get a tape drive.  You might even want a spare
drive so you can restore from an older tape when the drive eats your
most recent backup.  Years ago I bought three used DDS drives in
succession, and all died within six months.  The DLT1 tape robot I
mentioned having SCSI problems with, in that thread, also jammed
three tapes over the space of four years, requiring factory repair
each time.  (In each case the fault was with the drive, not the

I've kind of soured on tape as a backup medium.  Too expensive, too
unreliable.