[mythtv-users] Play Myth recordings on a Windows box

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Thu Nov 1 15:18:35 UTC 2007

> Howdy all
>
> I have just completed a mythrename of all my recordings and shared the
> directory via Samba. My wife wants to play them on her Windows machine
> while the TV is in use doing other things. But Media Player is saying
> that it can't play them. They all have .mpg extensions. Does anyone know
> what codec I need to install on Windows to get the Myth recordings to
> play in Windows Media Player?
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

All you really need is vlc and mythtv filters
(http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/) for windows.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Play_Recordings_On_Windows_From_MythWeb
I also like mythtv player for playback with commercial skipping as I could
never get a reliable script for actually removing commercials from my
recordings.
I did this for awhile until I finally got my family on linux desktops.

Daniel