[mythtv-users] Is upgrading an ancient system using apt-get recommended?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:24:12 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Depending on your system you may find that 0.20.1 requires more system
> resources than your system has.

Yeah, I do recall that now that you mention it...  Wonder if I could
apt-get upgrade just the Fedora stuff and leave Myth 0.18.1....

> If I were going to go that route I would
> watch everything worth watching and start over fresh with a install of
> MythDora or KnoppixMyth. They both should result in a pretty much
> painless "lean and mean" myth box.

[this part in response to Brian, as well]
Well, it's not stuff I'm not caught up on, it's stuff I want to keep.
Recipes from cooking shows I haven't had time to pause every few
seconds to transcribe to paper (my other hobby is cooking),
performances of music, etc. that aren't available for sale yet, etc.

Also, like I said, it's not a dedicated Myth box.  It also has
bookmarks, documents, etc. from Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.
that if I blew those away WAF would be *ZERO*. (-;

Thanks everyone for the input so far.  If someone knows about the
viability of using apt-get for the upgrade, feel free to chime in.  I
won't have time to do any of it until Saturday, anyway....