[mythtv-users] Is upgrading an ancient system using apt-get recommended?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Thu May 31 16:28:02 UTC 2007

Probably best a question for Jarod and/or Axel, but I'd welcome input
from anyone....

I have an ancient box with:

- FC3
- MythTV 0.18.1 (using the PVR-350 accelerated out, setup with Jarod's
guide from FC3)
- Some old version of wine
- Some old version of OpenOffice.
- Several other miscellaneous things.
- A few videos I don't want to lose.
- A lot of www bookmarks, documents and other stuff I don't want to lose.

Almost everything was installed using apt-get.

I seem to recall when FC6 came out, Jarod or someone posted a howto to
upgrade a system "in-place" using yum or apt-get or some such.  I'm
having zero luck searching for it.

So:

1) Is trying to upgrade FC3->FC7 (out today), Myth 0.18.1->current
ATRPMS and whatever gets dragged along a good idea or a bad one? and
2) Does anyone know of a step by step howto somewhere?

Thanks a ton in advance!!