[mythtv-users] Internal DVD player incorrectly detects video scan (interlacing)

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Thu May 31 12:42:43 UTC 2007

stanley kamithi wrote:
>> From your logs it looks like your problematic dvds contains frames
>> that are
> not properly flagged
> as interlaced. probably something due to the way the dvd was created.
>
> Play the dvd using mplayer and check whether mplayer detects the title as
> containing interlaced frames
> or progressive frames. if mplayer says that the stream contains
> progressive
> frames, then this should verify that's the problem.

I've played the title in mplayer, and it looks fine.  But I can't see
any output indicating progressive or interlaced.  How do I use mplayer
to get this information?   I also used xine and it looked fine too.

I'm starting to think this is a problem with the bob deinterlacing
setting.   If I use another deinterlacer ... like kernel I don't get the
poor output.  Could this be some bad interaction between bob and the dvd
video?  In addition to the ugly playback when bob is enabled, I also see
some tearing.   But as soon as I override the video scan and set it to
interlaced, it looks good.

This evidence seems to suggest that it's not the video scan detection
that's the problem, but the bob deinterlacer???

Any thoughts?

Matt