[mythtv-users] master backend on nslu2 ?

David Muench davemuench at gmail.com
Thu May 31 00:49:30 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Jacob Yeh <jyeh at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:

> I will let you all know how it turns out but Guillame, it certainly is NOT a
> bad idea (in my opinion) to use the NSLU2 as a cheap, low-power-consuming,
> quiet machine as a tuner-less MythTV master backend machine.

Very interesting. I've been planning a similar idea myself. Currently
I run my backend as a Xen domU, but while it works it has a number of
disadvantages. It requires the PCI passthru feature, something which
always seems to cause issues with new versions of Xen. It's not
heavily used I don't think. So I was pondering stripping my mythtv
backend down to basically what you've described - it's the scheduler,
and mythweb runs there, but no tuners. Then moving the tuners to a
second machine that can turn on and off as needed. The main stumbling
block appears to be that the mythtv auto shutdown/startup code just
doesn't wasn't designed to turn on and off slave backends on demand.
There have been a few threads about this, and a few ideas on ways to
script around it.. But probably nothing as elegant as it could be.

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread for sure though..

Dave

David Muench - davemuench at gmail.com
Jabber/Google Talk: davemuench at gmail.com